Cheetahs return to India – level 2
70 years ago, cheetahs disappeared from India’s wild. Now, they finally returned.
Eight cheetahs traveled 8,000 kilometers from Namibia, and they will now live in a national park in central India. The park’s area is 5,000 square kilometers, and the cheetahs will live there with many other animals. 12 more cheetahs will arrive next month from South Africa to join them.
Some scientists and conservationists are not happy with this project. They say that African cheetahs shouldn’t live on the Indian subcontinent. They also say that the animals won’t have enough space and that other animals or people could kill them.
Difficult words: disappear (to be gone and people cannot find you), conservationist (a person who protects the natural world), subcontinent (a large part of a continent).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos