Children cost a lot of money – level 1
It costs a lot of money to take care of a child. Raising kids in the United States is becoming even more expensive. The cost of living is going up. But people’s wages are not.
A new report says that it costs about 20,813 dollars per year to raise a child. But in some places, it can cost 35,000 dollars. Childcare is the most expensive thing for parents. It costs about 9,000 dollars per year. Sometimes the sum is more than 22,000.
The report also shows the cheapest and most expensive places to raise kids. The cheapest places are Morristown and Sumter. The most expensive places are in California and Massachusetts.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are some of the most expensive things parents need to pay for when it comes to raising children?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.