Children cross the US-Mexico border – level 2
US authorities released a video last week which showed a person drop two children over a fence along the US-Mexico border.
In the video, two persons got to the fence and one of them dropped one child over the 4-meter-high fence. Then, the person dropped the second child and both persons ran away from the border.
US border patrol found the children and took them to a patrol station. The children were a toddler and her 5-year-old sister.
Hundreds of children and teenagers cross the US-Mexico border every day which is a big problem for the US because there is not enough housing for these children. Often, their parents cannot get to the US legally, so they send their children alone. They hope that their children will get to their relatives.
Difficult words: border patrol (people who watch the area along a country’s border), toddler (a child who is about one to three years old), relative (a person who belongs to somebody’s family).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos