Chile wildfires – level 1
Hundreds of wildfires are burning in Chile. They destroy hundreds of homes. They burn large areas of forest.
The situation is very serious. Summer is happening in Chile. Temperatures are unusually high. They are above 38 degrees Celsius. Strong winds spread the fires. Firefighters cannot get the fires under control.
1,100 people must leave their homes. They are not safe. 23 people die. Three rescuers also die.
A state of emergency is in some places in Chile. The state of emergency gives the government more power than normal. Authorities can control the situation better. The work is still very difficult. They say that hot weather will continue.
Difficult words: wildfire (a large fire which spreads quickly from natural places to other places), destroy (to affect something so badly that people cannot use it anymore), spread (to move across a place).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the state of emergency in Chile?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos