Chimp Escapes From a Zoo – level 3
At a zoo in northern Japan, authorities declared a twenty-four-year-old male chimp named Chacha missing after locals reported the primate roaming around their neighbourhood.
The animal was scaling power lines when dozens of workers and animal experts tried to coax the animal down using a cherry picker. That did not work, so veterinarian shot Chacha with a tranquilliser gun.
When the drug kicked in, the chimp fell down, and as he fell, he hit a lamp on the pole, which threw him off. He did not land in the nets and sheets that humans were holding below. Despite the seemingly painful fall, people reported that Chacha later made a full recovery.
Difficult words: roam (move), scale (climb up or over), attempt (try), coax (make somebody do something), cherry picker (a thing often used by firefighters or builders which can move people up in the air safely), tranquilliser (a drug which makes you relax or sleep).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.