Chinese cat is saved – level 3
Yao Yao the cat is celebrating new found freedom after being stuck up a chimney for 53 days.
The two-and-a-half-year-old feline may have used up more than one of his nine lives when he fell into a ventilation chimney in China.
His owner said he heard cats fighting on the roof of a six-story building in Liaoning Province. He went to check it out and saw Yao Yao fall into his neighbour’s chimney.
“At first, I contacted the management office and they tried to get him out in many ways. But all efforts proved ineffective. A month later, I almost gave up on getting him back.”
Huo had given up hope when, almost two months later, one of his neighbour’s reported hearing strange noises coming from the extractor fan in her kitchen. Maintenance workers dismantled the unit on Monday, and out popped Yao Yao.
While the cute cat has lost a bit of weight during his ordeal leading to liver damage, Yao Yao is now receiving treatment and expects to make a full recovery.
Difficult words: feline (cat), ventilation (spaces for air to pass through inside of a building), efforts (trying to do something), dismantle (take apart), pop (jump).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.