Chinese man tries to steal – level 3
A gunman has been caught in China attempting to steal money from a bank. Wearing a helmet and armed with a replica gun, the man waited for the bank’s armoured vehicle to arrive and send him money.
CCTV footage shows a bank staff member carry a bag from the van, followed closely by an armed escort. When the pair is walking through the revolving door, the robber suddenly appears and attacks them. After spraying petrol in the face of the armed escort, he then kicked the staff member to the ground and shot him in the leg with the replica gun.
Struggling with the bag of cash that weighed more than 85 kilograms, he dragged it outside, where he was attempting to put it on his motorbike. The van driver then called the police while the other armed escort in the van shot the robber. He was arrested moments later.
It’s understood the 29-year-old who is being treated in hospital owned a shoe-repair shop in the city and committed the crime in order to get enough money for the cost of his mortgage.
“I will treat my parents and my wife and kids kindly if, one day, I’m let out of prison.”
Difficult words: gunman (a person who has a gun), attempt (to try), armed (somebody who has a weapon), replica gun (a gun that looks like another type of gun), armoured (protected by metal coverings), CCTV footage (security camera video), staff member (a member of a group of people who work somewhere), escort (a person who protects somebody), struggle (to try very hard to do something).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.