Cholera outbreak in Zimbabwe – level 1
In Zimbabwe, the government is making strict rules. Many people are getting sick with cholera.
This week, more than 12,200 new cases happen. It is the highest number since February. The government stops big meetings or selling food. In the capital, Harare, there is an emergency. Many people there are getting sick. In a poor place called Kadana, things are not good. People do not always get clean water. The streets are dirty.
The government gives tablets to clean water. About 155 people die, and around 8,800 get sick since the start of this problem. People are worried because, in 2008, more than 4,000 die from cholera in Zimbabwe.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What measures is the Zimbabwean government taking to help prevent the spread of cholera?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.