Christmas Day swim – level 1
This happens in 1864 on Christmas Day. A group of people meet in Hyde Park. Hyde Park is a park in London. The people are swimmers.
They swim in a river. The water is very cold. It is around 4°C. They swim 100 yards (91 metres). This race becomes a tradition. People do it every year.
Not everybody can swim in the cold water. You must get used to it. That takes some time.
Difficult words: race (a situation when you try to be the fastest), tradition (an event or activity which people do for many years), get used to something (when something is easy for you to do).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you do on Christmas Day in the morning?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos