Christmas train – level 2
The popular Christmas train returned to Colombia’s capital Bogota, after a one-year break because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The train is 400 meters long, and it has 14 cabins which can carry up to 600 passengers. Once a year, it uses old travel infrastructure, which modern trains have not used for more than 30 years. Santa Claus and nutcrackers welcome passengers at the train station, and then, they walk through the train, speak to people, and give gifts to children.
The train runs all of December, and it brings the holiday spirit to the city. Every night, people come out to see it, and to enjoy the moment. According to authorities, the train also interests tourists, and some of its passengers are foreigners.
Difficult words: infrastructure (the systems and services of a city such as transport or power supply), nutcracker (a traditional wooden figure and Christmas decoration in some countries), spirit (a mood or feeling).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.