Church Comes Out of the Water – level 2
In 1966, an area in Mexico flooded after the construction of a dam. One of the flooded buildings was a church. It was built in 1564 by Spanish colonists.
There is a drought in Mexico now. The water of the lake with the church inside it went down by 24 metres. The church isn’t underwater at the moment, so many people are coming to see it.
Ten years ago, the water was so low that you could walk around the church.
Difficult words: flood (to go underwater), dam (a big wall which stops water), drought (when there is no rain for a long time).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this church?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos