City of Widows – level 1
Holi is an Indian festival. It is a festival of colour. It is celebrated in the City of Widows. It is a city in the north of India.
There are many widows in the city. The city is their new home. The widows dance at the festival. There are some tourists, too.
An Indian man starts the festival in 2013. He makes the lives of the widows better. They do not feel like widows any more.
Difficult words: festival (an event to celebrate something), widow (a woman whose husband died).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.