Civilians in Syria and Iraq – level 2
According to the US military, the air strikes against ISIS in Syria and Iraq led to the unintentional deaths of at least 1,139 civilians.
There were over 31,000 air strikes between August 2014 and the end of November 2018. The US report also says that the operation freed nearly 8 million Iraqis and Syrians from ISIS rule. The ISIS-controlled territory reduced to about 1 per cent of what the group had before.
However, A non-profit company which monitors civilian deaths, says that the number of deaths is 11,637 or possibly even higher.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.