Clean Sydney Waters – level 1
Laura Stone is from Australia. She runs tours in the Sydney Harbor. Her tours are special. People travel in kayaks. Kayak is a small boat. It is very light. One person sits in it.
People use a lot of plastic. Rivers, lakes and seas are full of plastic. The Sydney Harbor is dirty, too. Laura does not like it. She has an idea.
People pick up trash from kayaks. People pick up over 180 kilograms of trash every month. The result is fantastic. The Sydney Harbor is clean again.
People enjoy Laura’s tours. They like spending time outside. They exercise and help the natural world, too. People think about plastic in water. They try to use less plastic. They recycle more.
Difficult words: run (to do, make), tour (when people travel around a place), trash (things which people throw away), recycle (when people throw away things and companies make new products from them).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.