Cliff diving in Portugal – level 3
Usually, the sight of these thirty-meter-tall picturesque cliffs of Portuguese coast wouldn’t fill you with the desire to jump off them, but this is the Red Bull Cliff Diving World Series. It takes these professionals concentration, preparation and a fairly liberal disregard for their own personal safety, but the results are spectacular.
Twenty-nine-year-old American Steve LoBue grabbed victory in a closely-fought contest with this dive in front of 2,000 spectators who watched from boats and ships.
Columbia’s Orlando Duquesne was a close second with this effort but it wasn’t enough, as Steve LoBue took the win and is now a strong favourite to be a champion at the end of the year.
Difficult words: picturesque (beautiful), desire (strong feeling of wanting), liberal (a lot), disregard (action of paying no attention to something), spectacular (beautiful in a dramatic way), strong favourite (he is likely to win).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.