Congo beer factory – level 3
Two Ebola outbreaks and waves of rebel conflicts struck Beni in Democratic Republic of Congo. However, they haven’t stopped production at a popular local beer factory.
The factory is located in North Kivu. It is an impoverished province that has been grappling with major fights by the M23 Rebel group. The company employs hundreds of workers, which is a big deal in a country where 73% of the people live on less than 1.9 dollars a day. Many people joined the factory, and it has become their only hope to make money.
The plant cost 134 million dollars, and the output tripled to 600,000 hectoliters between 2013 and 2021. Last year, the company expanded; however, workers sometimes must pass rebel checkpoints to deliver along roads, or poorly maintained roads are difficult to travel. This situation lengthens the supply time for some areas, and sometimes it prevents deliveries.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.