Coronavirus and Sports – level 1
Coronavirus is spreading around the world. It affects many people and businesses. It affects sports, too.
Some athletes and coaches have the coronavirus. They are sick. Their teams cannot play. Some sports grounds and stadiums are closed. In England, the football league stops. In Italy, people cannot go to football matches. Officials interrupt the US national basketball league. Governments must stop the coronavirus. They cancel big meetings of people.
Coronavirus can affect the Tokyo Olympic Games, too. The Olympics start in summer 2020. The President of the Olympics group is hopeful. He thinks that the Olympics can take place. However, there can be some changes.
Difficult words: spread (to grow over a large area and to affect many people), coach (a person who trains an athlete or a team), interrupt (to stop something for some time).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos