Coup in Turkey – level 1
In Tukey, almost 200 people die and over 1000 are injured. This happens when a part of the army tries to take control of the government.
It begins when rebel soldiers close some bridges in Istanbul. People do not know who is in control of the country.
Explosions happen in the capital of Ankara and also in Istanbul. Planes in Istanbul cannot fly.
The country’s president asks people for support. They support him. The coup is finished. The rebel soldiers leave their tanks.
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Have you ever been to Turkey?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.