Cow Up In the Air – level 1
Many cows are in the Alps. The cows stay up in the hills. There is a lot of grass for the cows. Farmers look after the cows.
At the end of summer, farmers take the cows down the hills. It is a special moment for many people. In Switzerland, farmers take down about 1,000 cows this week.
However, something unusual happens. One cow does not walk down. A helicopter takes the animal down. A farmer explains why it happens.
The cow cannot walk well. The farmer does not want to risk the cow’s health. He decides to take the cow down with a helicopter.
The farmer says that this can be traumatic for the cow. However, this is a usual way that farmers transport injured animals.
Difficult words: explain (to say why something happens), risk (to put someone or something in danger), traumatic (unpleasant and stressful), transport (to take from one place to another).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos