Crane Moves in the Wind – level 1
Hurricane Zeta brings strong winds to the east coast of the US. People in Manhattan, New York, see something unusual on Tuesday.
A crane is working on top of a tall building. The building is 84 stories tall. The crane starts to turn around quickly in the wind. The crane gets out of control. Debris falls down.
Authorities must close several streets around the crane. The streets are dangerous for people. Fire officers arrive. They cannot see the top of the building. The reason is wind and fog.
Cranes are very strong. They can stand up in winds of 160 kmph. They spin in the wind. But the debris is a problem. Officials want to know why it falls down.
Difficult words: crane (a large and tall machine that people use to build houses and to move heavy things), story (a level of a building), debris (smaller pieces of something that breaks).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos