Cult members die – level 3
Kenyan police have uncovered 26 more bodies of suspected cult members linked to the Good News International Church, bringing the total number to 47.
Officials received a tip-off about dozens of shallow graves at a farm owned by the church’s leader, Makenzie Nthenge.
Nthenge has already been arrested, charged, and released on bail of 700 dollars; however, authorities are still searching for survivors of the cult as well as further bodies. Hussein Khalid of the rights group Haki Africa claimed that members of the church were still hiding in the nearby forest, calling on the government to send troops to assist in the search.
The interior minister, Kithure Kindiki, has pledged to investigate the movement and called for tighter regulation of all religious institutions.
Difficult words: cult (a small religious group that’s not part of a larger and more accepted religion), tip-off (a piece of information given discreetly).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What measures do you think should be taken to prevent this kind of tragedy from occurring in the future?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos