Dam in Brazil – level 1
There is some bad news from Brazil. A dam bursts there. An area goes under dirty water. The water kills people. It destroys their homes.
More than 40 people die. Hundreds of people are missing. There is not much hope for the missing people.
This is not the first time that a dam bursts. This happens in 2015, too. That time, nineteen people die.
Difficult words: dam (a wall which holds water and forms a lake), burst (break open), be missing (when you are missing, people do not know if you are alive and OK).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos