Dancing after midnight in Japan – level 2
It has been illegal to dance in bars and clubs in Japan after midnight since 1948. Japan introduced the law to put an end to prostitution.
Now this is going to change, and you will be able to dance until the morning hours. However, there are still some restrictions. Bars and clubs must have permits, and there must be enough light. The government hopes that brighter lighting will prevent crimes.
Difficult words: midnight (the beginning of the new day), restriction (rule which limits or controls something), prevent (stop or discourage).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think of this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos