Danger in Northern California – level 1
Oroville Dam is in northern California. It is the tallest dam in the USA. It is 230 metres high. It is 12 metres taller than Hoover Dam.
This news is about the Oroville Dam. It is damaged. Too much water could leave the dam. People are in danger. They must leave. Around 200,000 people are leaving the area.
Difficult words: dam (a big wall which holds water), damaged (not OK, broken), could (can).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.