Daylight saving time in the US – level 1
Many countries in the world have daylight saving time. Then they have more sunlight during the summer months.
In spring, people set their clocks one hour forward. This means that there is less sunlight in the morning. Then there is more sunlight in the evening. People enjoy more sunlight. Some companies save electricity. More than 75% of Americans don’t want to change the clock twice a year.
Some politicians want to stop this change. The US Congress and the President must approve of the stop. It is not an easy situation. Some people like daylight saving time. Some people like standard time.
Difficult words: set (to put in a specific place or position), approve (to officially agree with something), standard time (the official local time of a country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos