Dia de los Muertos – level 1
Dia de los Muertos is a festival in Mexico. In English, it means ’the day of the dead’. People celebrate it on November 2. They remember family and friends who are dead.
Many people believe that a dead person or dead people visit them on this day. They prepare food and drinks. They put it in a special place. They decorate the place. They put things which belonged to the dead people.
Many cultures celebrate the dead in November. Christians have a festival, too. They remember only the dead. They are sad.
Mexicans are not sad. They celebrate the life of the dead people. They give gifts to family and friends, too.
Difficult words: festival (an event when people celebrate something), decorate (to make something look nicer), culture (people who live in a place or time and their way of life).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos