Dieselgate – level 1
Volkswagen is a German carmaker. The company uses a special software. This software changes information about emissions. A US government organization finds out the truth. It is a big scandal. People call the scandal Dieselgate.
Volkswagen must change some parts in many of its cars. The company must pay lawyers. All this costs Volkswagen more than 38 billion dollars. It is important to find out who is responsible for Dieselgate.
It seems that two men are responsible. One man is the boss of Volkswagen in the past. The other man is the boss on Audi in the past. Both men say that they do nothing wrong. Volkswagen says that the men must pay some money to the company.
Difficult words: carmaker (a company which makes cars), emission (gas which a car makes when it goes), scandal (something that happens and it makes many people angry).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos