Doctors operate without electricity – level 2
Last Wednesday, Russian missiles hit the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv. It happened just at the moment when doctors were doing an open-heart surgery on a 14-year-old boy.
Doctors were in the surgery when suddenly the lights started to flicker and the room went dark. Hospital staff quickly started a generator to get some electricity. The doctors couldn’t wait for more light, so they continued to work on the operation with only the light from their phones and headlamps. Luckily, the boy survived and he was doing well after the operation.
Russia admitted that it wanted to cut Kyiv off from electricity and water. The idea was to stop Ukraine’s fight and to negotiate with Russia.
Difficult words: flicker (to go on and off quickly), generator (a machine which makes electricity), negotiate (to deal).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos