Doctors separate twins – level 1
In 2018, twins are born in a Brazilian village. They are Arthur and Bernardo Lima. They look different from other twins. Their heads are joined together.
The boys share a part of the brain and a body part. This part takes blood to the heart. Doctors think that they can separate the boys. The work is hard.
They spend many months to plan a surgery. Virtual reality helps doctors. Doctors from different countries meet in one virtual reality room.
The boys have seven surgeries altogether. The last surgery is more than 27 hours long. The surgery is successful. The twins can look at each other for the first time.
Difficult words: twin (one of two children, who are born to one woman at the same time), joined together (things which touch each other and share parts), separate (to take apart), surgery (work when a doctor cuts the body open and fixes it).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.