Doctors switch embryos – level 1
In 2019, Daphne Cardinal gives birth to a baby girl. It happens after an IVF treatment.
IVF is a special medical procedure. It helps couples who cannot have a child. A doctor puts a man’s sperm in a woman’s egg in a laboratory. The sperm and egg are body parts that help make a baby.
Daphne’s husband Alexander thinks that the baby does not look like them. He thinks that the baby is not theirs. A DNA test shows that the Cardinals are not the actual parents of the girl. They speak with another couple. They switch the babies.
The situation is very hard for Daphne. She feeds the baby with her milk. Daphne and her 5-year-old daughter love the baby.
The Cardinals sue an IVF clinic in California. The clinic makes a bad mistake. It switches the embryos. An embryo is a baby inside a woman’s body. It is a few weeks old.
Difficult words: DNA test (a test which shows if a person is in the same family as somebody else), switch (to change one thing for another), sue (to use laws against a person or organization who does something bad).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.