Dog is saved in France – level 2
A man was walking his dog west of Paris when he found another dog. It was hard to see because someone buried it alive.
The man posted a series of photos on Facebook. He said that he wanted to educate people about cruelty to animals. People took the dog to a vet, while police arrested its 21-year-old owner.
The owner denied burying the animal and said that it ran away. If the man is guilty, he could be jailed for two years and forced to pay a £21,000 fine. People set up a petition which calls for the maximum sentence. More than 280,000 people have signed the petition.
Difficult words: deny (to say that you did not do something), fine (money which you have to pay for doing something illegal), sentence (a punishment).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this? How would you punish the man?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.