Dolphin is born – level 3
A bottlenose dolphin, Sadie, gave birth yesterday to her second calf at Sea World San Diego.
Sadie gave birth at 3:32 PM at dolphin stadium after a 12-month gestation period. The baby came in at whopping 40 pounds (18kg).
Trainers and vets have said that the mother and baby appeared to be in good health and are bonding and swimming together.
In the next few weeks, they’ll continue to monitor both mother and baby around the clock. The gender of the calf is still unknown and will be determined within several weeks.
Thirteen-year-old Sadie’s first calf, named Kailani Koa, was born in 2009. The newborn dolphin marks the 80th successful dolphin birth at Sea World San Diego.
Difficult words: calf (young mammal such as a dolphin), gestation period (the time when the baby is inside the mother’s body), whopping (very large), bond (to establish a relationship with somebody), around the clock (non-stop), determine (to find out), several (few).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos