Doomsday Clock – level 1
In 1947, a group of scientists create the Doomsday Clock. One of the scientists is the famous Albert Einstein. The clock is not an actual clock. It is an idea.
Every year, nuclear and climate experts meet. They speak about the situation in the world. They decide if people are bringing the world to its end.
They move the clock’s hand. If they think that the world is closer to its end, they move the hand closer to midnight.
When the clock starts, the hand is seven minutes to midnight. The hand moves three minutes from midnight during the Cold War.
Last week, experts move the hand to 90 seconds to midnight. The move is the closest ever. Scientists think that the world is very close to a terrible event.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the Doomsday Clock?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.