Dragon Boat Festival – level 1
The Chinese celebrate the Dragon Boat Festival. It takes place every year. It is on the fifth day of the fifth month of the Chinese calendar.
There are boat races at the festival. Teams race in narrow, 12-metre-long boats. The boats have dragon heads and tails.
At the end, the teams splash each other with water. This is to bring them luck.
Difficult words: take place (happen, be organised), boat race (when people make boats go as fast as possible to be the first and win), splash each other with water (throw water on people).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos