Dragons in New York – level 1
There is a zoo in New York. The zoo has some new animals. They are the Komodo dragons. These animals are lizards. They are from Indonesia.
A Komodo dragon eats other animals. Its prey can be big or small. The dragon bites its prey. Sometimes, the prey does not die quickly. The prey walks away, but the dragon waits. The prey dies in a few days. Why? The dragon’s saliva is toxic.
There are three dragons at the zoo. Two of them are boys and one is a girl. They are still small. They are only teenagers. They will be bigger.
Difficult words: lizard (animal which is like a snake with four legs), prey (animal which is eaten by a stronger animal), saliva (“water” in the mouth).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Are you a teacher? Download the exercises for your class here. They are for free. You can copy them and use them in your class.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.