Dramatic moment on a railway – level 2
An old woman ran for her train and fell onto the tracks. A soldier, who stood on the opposite platform, jumped down and ran to her.
He lifted the woman onto the platform. Everything happened only moments before a train arrived. The train had to slam on its brakes.
The train’s camera captured the situation. The rail operator is investigating this incident.
Difficult words: platform (raised place beside a railway), slam on the brakes (to make a vehicle stop very suddenly).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Would you help the lady?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.