Drones deliver letters – level 3
The UK’s first drone delivery service that can be conducted permanently has been launched in Orkney to provide locals with their mail.
Orkey’s a group of islands, and it’s introduced the first mail delivery in the country. The Orkney I-Port initiative, in collaboration with Royal Mail and drone company Skyports, aims to transport letters and packages between islands. The program involves cooperation with the local council’s harbor authority and Loganair Airline. Initially lasting three months, the drone service may become permanent due to Orkney’s unique landscape and close island proximity. This innovation is expected to enhance delivery speed and reliability to remote areas like Graemsay and Hoy, often affected by weather and geography disruptions.
The fully electric drones, operated by Skyports, will carry items between islands using the Speedbird Aero DLV-2 drone, capable of transporting up to 6 kilograms. This effort is funded by the Department for Transport’s Freight Innovation Fund.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What kind of disruptions has the I-Port initiative been designed to reduce in remote areas?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.