Drones fly over nuclear power plants – level 3
France has launched an investigation after mysterious drones were spotted flying over some of the country’s nuclear power stations.
EDF, the state-owned utility company which operates the nuclear plants, said the unidentified drones flew over seven power stations between October 5th and 20th.
The energy firm said the drones did not have an impact on the nuclear stations’ safety or function, but the Interior Ministry has now launched an investigation into the matter.
The drone sightings may renew concerns about the safety of nuclear plants in France, which is the world’s most nuclear-reliant country with 58 reactors and 19 sites operated by EDF.
Drones are prohibited to fly less than 1,000 metres above nuclear plants and within a five kilometre radius in France.
Difficult words: mysterious (people know very little about them), spot (see), utility company (a big company which provides a country with utilities like electricity, gas, water etc.), impact (effect), launch (start), renew (start again), prohibit (not allowed).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos