Drug-smuggling tunnel – level 2
Mexican police discovered an unfinished drug-smuggling tunnel in Tijuana. It emerges in a building which is just two blocks from Mexico’s border with the USA.
This tunnel is the third found tunnel in the area since April when police discovered two other tunnels. Illegal tunnels are relatively common along the 322 kilometre-long Mexico-US border. In the last ten years, police found more than 75 tunnels.
Difficult words: smuggle (to move things illegally from one country to another country), emerge (to come out), border (a line where one country ends and another begins).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about these tunnels in Mexico to the USA?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.