Durian Fruit – level 1
The durian is a tropical fruit. It is from Malaysia. People know it for its sharp smell. Some people say that it smells like sewage, old meat, or socks. The smell is so bad that you cannot have the fruit in hotels or on the bus or train.
It tastes unusual, too. It is salty and spicy. It is sweet, also. People use its flavour in ice creams and drinks.
A town in Malaysia celebrates the fruit. It organises a festival. Tourists come to eat durian at the festival.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.