Dying town – level 1
Civita di Bagnoregio is a small town in Italy. It is 3,000 years old. Soon it is possible that it will disappear. Civita is on a cliff. It often rains there. Strong winds and water change the rocks. They gets smaller. The town starts to collapse.
The town is 152 meters long and 91 meters wide. It is three times bigger in the past. The situation is serious.
Local people want to save the town. They make a special metal structure. It helps keep the walls straight.
Tourists are very important for Civita. Local people can pay for the structure. They have money from tourists. Then the coronavirus changes everything. Tourists do not come. Local people hope that they will save their home.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.