Earth Hour 2022 – level 1
It is the year 2007. A group of people in Sydney, Australia, start Earth Hour.
They want people to care about our planet. The idea is simple. People turn off the lights on one day of the year at one specific hour. This lasts 60 minutes.
Then people save electricity. They help the planet. Some people don’t believe it much. They say that this saves little electricity.
Now Earth Hour is very popular. Hundreds of millions of people from all the world join this event.
This year’s Earth Hour is on March 26. People turn off lights at 8.30 PM. Many cities switch off lights on famous buildings. For example, they are the Eiffel Tower, the Empire State Building, and the Sydney Opera House.
Difficult words: specific (the one thing and no others), electricity (a kind of energy which people use in buildings to make light and heat), join (to be in something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos