Earthquake in Chile – level 2
An earthquake struck off the coast of Chile. The quake hit near the Peruvian border.
A woman said that the earthquake was strong and that everything in the old part of the city moved a lot. Another woman said that the earthquake lasted a long time. She said that all she and others could do was pray with their daughter.
The earthquake triggered a tsunami. The government evacuated thousands of people from low-lying areas. Prisoners took advantage of the situation and escaped from jail. The police recaptured about 16 of the female prisoners, but security forces are still in search of the rest.
Difficult words: trigger (start), take advantage (use a situation to do something you want), low-lying (place that is not high above the water), recapture (catch).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Have you ever experienced an earthquake?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos