Earthquake in China – level 1
There is an earthquake in China. It is very strong. A woman’s house falls down. Her house traps her. She must wait for help for 50 hours. People save her in six hours, but she is going to be fine.
People find a three-year-old boy. He is in a destroyed house. He is stuck under a sofa. It takes a lot of time to save him. There is not much space. Also, a heavy beam is on the sofa, but people saved the boy.
Difficult words: earthquake (when the ground moves), stuck (if you are stuck somewhere you cannot move), destroyed (when something is completely ruined), beam (long heavy piece of wood or metal).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Have you ever experienced an eqrthquake?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos