Earthquake in Turkey – level 3
A 5.5-magnitude quake hit a south eastern town in Turkey in the Adiyaman Province on Thursday, damaging buildings and injuring five with more people likely to follow.
Four teams of 35 rescuers were sent to the area where four more tremors followed the main earthquake. Earthquakes are frequent in Turkey because the country lies on active fault lines, but the US Geological Survey said that the recent earthquake was very shallow, at only around 9 kilometres deep.
Difficult words: tremors (a small earthquake), fault line (a break in a rock formation).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.