Earthquakes in Japan – level 2
Two earthquakes hit southwestern Japan. They killed at least 9 people and injured hundreds more. More than 44,000 people evacuated to schools and community centres. Many people chose to spend the night outdoors despite the cold. They woke up to cracked roads and damaged houses.
The magnitude of the earthquakes was lower than that of the 2011 earthquake, but these earthquakes struck on land and not at sea. There was not a tsunami, either, which would take many more lives.
More than 3,000 soldiers, policemen and firemen are helping in the area. Experts warned that there might be smaller earthquakes.
Difficult words: despite (even though it was cold outside), magnitude (the strength of an earthquake), strike (to hit).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos