El Niño in Chile – level 2
El Niño storms hit Chile. Five-meter waves battered the coast and people had to close oceanfront roads.
There was a video of a civil defence car which a wave knocked over and pushed. People ran to help the passengers who were not hurt.
The waves are the biggest in the region since 2003.
Difficult words: batter (to hit many times), oceanfront (the roads which are close to the ocean), civil defence (a car of the civil defence – an organisation which defends/protects people).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this storm?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.