Election in Kenya – level 1
There is a presidential election in Kenya. President Kenyatta is Kenya’s current president. Raila Odinga is running against him.
The election is tight. There are problems, too. An election official is killed. Some people say that the election is rigged. There is chaos in the streets, too. People can die.
A 102-year-old woman votes. She is one of the oldest Kenyans. She believes that good leaders come from God.
Difficult words: presidential election (when people choose their president), tight (close – we cannot tell who will win), election official (a person who organises the election), rigged (not completely true).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.