Electric tuk-tuks – level 2
Sri Lanka is having problems with their energy supply and many people lost their jobs because of it.
To fix this, the government wants to change 500,000 tuk-tuks to electric ones over five years. The United Nations Development Program is helping with the project. They want to test how to change petrol tuk-tuks to electric ones and then help people to change them. They will give money to people who want to change and build things to help them charge the tuk-tuks. The first part of the project will change 200 tuk-tuks. They will choose which ones can join the project by how old they are and if the owner only has one tuk-tuk.
The government hopes to help people who have lost their jobs and help the environment, too.
Difficult words: energy supply (deliveries of electricity or gas to people), fix (to make the situation better), environment (the natural world).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What type of financial assistance will be offered by the United Nations Development Program to those wishing to change their petrol tuk-tuks to electric ones?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos