Elephants or Avocados – level 1
Amboseli is a wildlife park. It is on the border between Kenya and Tanzania. 2,000 elephants and many other animals live there. Elephants need a lot of land. Three parks work together. Animals move freely in the parks.
Then a company buys a piece of land near Amboseli. The company wants to grow avocados there. Many people love avocados. They are very healthy. Avocados become more popular every year. The farm manager says that many people will get a job on the farm.
The farm will block the way between the parks. The elephants will not get to one of the parks. It is bad news for the park. Officials decide that the company can make the farm in 2020. They think about how to change this now.
Difficult words: wildlife (animals that do not live on farms but in forests and other places in nature), avocado (a fruit with dark green skin and a large stone or pit inside it), block (to be in the way of something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.